- How to Fix MBR in Server 2012 (R2) Easily
- Corrupted MBR on Windows Server 2012 (R2)
- Two ways to effectively fix a MBR error in Server 2012
- Repair a corrupted MBR in Server 2012 via the Recovery Console
- Rebuilding MBR for Server 2012 the easier way
- Other tips if Windows Server 2012 is not booting
- How to Fix Windows Server 2012 Boot BCD Error Easily?
- Windows Server 2012 boot BCD error
- Content navigate
- About boot BCD
- Why you get BCD error in Windows Server 2012?
- How to fix boot BCD error in Server 2012 in simple steps?
- Fix BCD error with Windows installation disc
- Repair BCD error by fixing corrupted MBR
- Bootrec windows server 2012 r2
- How to Solve Windows Server 2012 R2 Boot Loop without Reinstalling?
- Windows Server 2012 R2 stuck in boot loop
- Why Windows Server 2012 R2 keeps rebooting?
- Five fixes for Windows Server 2012 R2 boot loop
- Fix 1. Run DISM command to revert pending updates
- Fix 2. Restore bad registry from Regback
- Fix 3. Scan and replace corrupted system files.
- Fix 4. Check boot volume and fix errors
- Fix 5. Run Bootrec.exes to repair MBR
- How to fix Server 2012 R2 without Windows installation disc?
- Rebuild MBR via AOMEI Partition Assistant Server
- Check and fix errors for system drive
- Final words
How to Fix MBR in Server 2012 (R2) Easily
Facing Windows Server 2012 (R2) boot problem due to corrupted Master Boot Record (MBR)? You can learn how to fix MBR on Server 2012/2008/2003 with easy steps.
By Teresa / Last Updated April 2, 2021
Corrupted MBR on Windows Server 2012 (R2)
The Master Boot Record (MBR) is the first place the system BIOS tries to access when you power up a machine. The code stored there then searches the drive for an active partition. Next, the system locates the boot sector and begins executing the file that the boot sector pointed to, after which it moves onto the NT Loader (Ntldr).
If your Windows Server 2012 R2 doesnвЂ™t boot, one of the possible causes is an error or corrupted file in the first stage of the boot process. These can be causes by a number of different reasons such as a bad boot sector, virus infection, a hacker etc. Typically you will receive one of the following error messages: Corrupted MBR, Invalid partition table, Error loading operating system, or Missing operating system.
These errors are not restricted to Windows Server 2012 R2 and can effect Windows Server 2003, 2008 (R2), and 2016. The below guide will inform you how to repair the MBR error in Server 2012 (R2).
Two ways to effectively fix a MBR error in Server 2012
The Windows Server operating system actually provides an inbuilt way to resolve MBR issues. You can repair an MBR error with the help of the Recovery Console found in the Windows installation disc.
Repair a corrupted MBR in Server 2012 via the Recovery Console
Insert the installation CD to your machine. Boot the system from the CD by changing boot order in the BIOS.
1. Insert the installation CD to your machine. Boot the system from the CD by changing boot order in the BIOS.
2. Select Recovery Console option when prompted.
3. Go to C:WINNT or C:\WINDOWS. You may need to enter the local administratorвЂ™s password in this step.
4. In the Command Prompt window, type fixmbr and press Enter. You should confirm that you want to proceed by typing Y and then pressing Enter.
5. Remove the CD and boot as normal from the hard disk.
в–Є If there is an issue with the boot sector, type: FIXBOOT.
в–Є If you have more than one copy of Windows please make sure you are using the correct one.
It is very simple to fix an MBR error with the help of the Windows installation CD. However, what can you do if you donвЂ™t have the correct Windows installation disk to hand? If this is the case, we recommend using professional tools as a workaround.
Rebuilding MBR for Server 2012 the easier way
AOMEI Partition Assistant Server Edition is a comprehensive hard drive partition manager that is specifically designed for Windows Server OSвЂ™s. With this specialist software, you can easily rebuild the MBR table for the Server operating system. When the machine is not bootable you can utilise the вЂMake Bootable MediaвЂ™ function to ensure that you can always fix your Server.
Preparations: As Windows Server 2012 is not currently booting, please prepare the following two things in advance.
в–Є A USB flash drive (or CD/DVD disc) to make a bootable media device.
в–Є A machine to complete the creation of the bootable media device. AOMEI Partition Assistant Server Edition needs to be installed on this machine.
1. Plug the USB drive to your computer, and install and launch AOMEI Partition Assistant Server Edition. Click on Make Bootable Media on the left side and follow the wizard to complete the process. Specific drivers for Server 2012 can be added during this process.
2. Set your Server 2012 to boot from the created bootable device by changing the boot order in the BIOS.
3. Once logged in, youвЂ™ll see that AOMEI Partition Assistant Server Edition has started automatically. Next, find the disk that has a corrupted MBR table, right click it, and select Rebuild MBR.
4. Choose the correct type of MBR table for your Windows Server 2012 in the pop-up box. In this case, you should choose the вЂWindows 7/8/10/2011/2012вЂ™ option.
5. Click Apply and then Proceed to execute the change. Now, wait for the process to be completed.
6. Disconnect the bootable device and restart your Server.
в–Є The above steps can also be applied to fix the MBR in Server 2003/2008(R2). You should remember to choose the correct MBR type for your system.
в–Є You can run CHKDSK in elevated mode after you have completed all of the steps to see if there are any other errors on your disk.
Other tips if Windows Server 2012 is not booting
If the boot problem is not caused by a corrupted MBR, you can try repairing the Server 2012 (R2) boot files.
1. Boot from the installation disc and choose вЂRepair your computerвЂ™ in the lower left hand corner. Next, open a Command Prompt window via the Advanced option.
2. You can run a system files check and use the offline options in the prompt.
в–Є SFC /OFFBOOTDIR (for offline repair specify the location of the offline boot directory)
в–Є SFC /OFFWINDIR (for offline repair specify the location of the offline Windows directory)
3. Remove the CD and reboot the computer.
Next steps: If you have discovered that there is a problem with the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store, you may want to refer to this guide: Windows Server 2012 boot BCD error.
Here we introduced two reliable ways to fix the MBR table in Windows Server 2012. You should choose the most suitable method according to your own situation and circumstances. In case anything goes wrong in the future we recommend backing up your Server 2012 on a regular basis.
AOMEI Partition Assistant Server Edition, is the perfect specialist tool for any Windows Server issues that you may encounter. It even includes such great features as the ability to convert an MBR table to a GPT one without data loss in Windows Server 2012, regardless how the disk is being used (system disk or data disk).
How to Fix Windows Server 2012 Boot BCD Error Easily?
Windows failed to start and you get Boot BCD error in Windows Server 2012 or 2008? Learn how to fix вЂњThe Boot Configuration Data for your PC is MissingвЂќ in simple steps.
By Teresa / Last Updated August 3, 2020
Windows Server 2012 boot BCD error
How to fix boot BCD error?
When I boot up the machine, just got following message saying Windows failed to start. It gives the information: The boot configuration data for your PC is missing or contains errors. What should I do to make this machine work normally?»
— Question from microsoft.com
The boot BCD error is actually a common error that also happens in Windows Server 2008 (R2). Except for Server operating systems, you can also find the help post on how to fix Dell laptop boot BCD error, HP, Lenovo or Gateway boot BCD error. Then, what a boot BCD is and why you get the error.
About boot BCD
According to Wikipedia, the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) is a firmware-independent database for boot-time configuration data. It is used as new Windows Boot Manager.
In different boot mode, the BCD store locates differently. For traditional BIOS boot, the BCD file is at /boot/BCD on the active partition, usually the system partition. For UEFI boot, the file is located at /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/BCD on the EFI System Partition. Therefore, some users also receive UEFI boot error BCD or EFI/Microsoft/Boot/BCD error in Windows Server 2012.
Why you get BCD error in Windows Server 2012?
Generally, you may get this error in the first restart that is triggered by extending system partition. Inappropriate operations may damage the Boot\BCD file.
In addition, the error occurs after adding some applications or programs. Boot Configuration Data is set for third-party integration, so anyone can implement tools like diagnostics or recovery options. As a result, the BCD store may be damaged by malicious third-party software.
WhatвЂ™s more, you may get boot BCD error when boot from USB drive that contains corrupted MBR or BCD store. Besides, error installing Server will cause the error as well.
In the type of BCD error in Server 2012, these errors are also likely to happen during PXE boot or in SCCM: вЂњRecovery. Your PC needs to be repairedвЂќ, вЂњThe Windows Boot Configuration Data file does not contain a valid OS entryвЂќ, вЂњAn error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration dataвЂќ, and вЂњAfter multiple tries, the operating system on your PC failed to start, so it needs to be repairedвЂќ.
Then, what should you do to get the boot BCD error fixed in Windows Server 2012 as well as Server 2008?
How to fix boot BCD error in Server 2012 in simple steps?
You need different solutions on different conditions. If youвЂ™re lucky enough with a Windows installation disc or repair disc around, refer to the steps in the first part. If not, see what youвЂ™ve got in the next part.
Fix BCD error with Windows installation disc
Insert the Windows installation disc to your machine and start it. Follow these steps to rebuild BCD for your Server.
1. At the installation interface, choose language, time and keyboard input, and then click Next.
2. Click on Repair you computer in the lower left corner.
3. Go Troubleshoot > Command Prompt to start CMD. Then, type bootre /rebuildbcd and hit Enter. Wait for the process completes.
4. Close the command prompt and back to the Choose an option interface. Click on Continue. It will prompt to press any key to start. Press any key to restart your Server. The BCD file should be rebuilt and the Server can start properly.
Tips: if that does not work, type following commands first and then rebuild the BCD file.
в—Џ bootrec /fixmbr
в—Џ bootrec fixboot
в—Џ bootrec /scanos
It is quite easy to fix BCD error with the help of Windows installation disc. Nevertheless, what if there is no such disc to assist? If you have created regular system backup or disk backup for the Windows Server 2012, you can revert the Server back to a state when everything functional. In that case, you just need to make a bootable media to start the Server 2012.
Absolutely, you can fix boot BCD error without disc in Server 2012 with the assistance of professional tool.
Repair BCD error by fixing corrupted MBR
If the BCD error has been caused by damaged or corrupted MBR, you need to fix MBR for Windows Server 2012. AOMEI Partition Assistant Server is all-around disk partition manager that will assist you rebuild MBR for Server 2012, 2019, 2016, 2012 as well as Server 2008. It provides both CUI and GUI that for both computer beginners and IT experts. It supports all Windows Server editions. LetвЂ™s get to know how to fix the error with this software.
в—Џ A functional PC: since the Server 2012 is unbootable, you need to prepare a functional Windows-based PC to install AOMEI Partition Assistant Server.
в—Џ A USB flash drive or CD/DVD disc: after installing AOMEI Partition Assistant on that PC, you need to make a bootable media with the software on that PC so that you can boot the Server 2012.
1. Connect a USB drive to the healthy PC. Install and launch AOMEI Partition Assistant Server on that PC as well. At the main interface, click on Make Bootable Media in the left pane and follow the steps to complete creating. Burn to CD/DVD and Export ISO File are available, too. You can also add certain drivers for the Server 2012 before creating.
2. Insert the bootable media to the Server 2012 and boot off the machine. If it falls back to the local disk, you need to change the boot priority to the bootable media in BIOS.
3. Once you login AOMEI Partition Assistant Server will start automatically. Right click the disk you want to fix (usually the system disk in this case) and select Rebuild MBR.
4. In the popping up window, select the type of MBR for Windows Server 2012, i.e. Windows 7/8/10/2011/2012 option, and click OK.
5. Click Apply and then Proceed to execute the pending operations. Then, restart your Server for repairing.
After successfully booting Windows Server 2012, you can run CHKDSK to see if any other errors existing.
To fix boot BCD error in Windows Server 2008, you need to choose Windows Vista/2008 option in Step 4.
When you come across Windows Server 2012 boot BCD error, you can easily fix it by using Windows installation disc. If the error was caused by corrupted MBR, then you need to fix MBR accordingly.
AOMEI Partition Assistant Server is comprehensive software that can solve many practical issues for Windows Server 2003, 2008 (R2), 2012 (R2), 2016 and 2019. For instance, you can convert MBR to GPT in Server 2012 without losing data.
Bootrec windows server 2012 r2
на третьей странице обсуждения по этой ссылке наткнулась на ответ Aleksey U._ с еще одной ссылкой и там такой совет
|В статье которую Вы указали предлагается проверить есть ли winre.wim в каталоге \Windows\System32\Recovery|
у меня не было обновления win7 до win8, а просто при попытке отката к заводским настройкам вылазило сообщение мол «диск заблокирован» (хотя загружаясь в Windows, раздел recovery выглядел нормально), но решила проверить, а что же у меня находится в этом каталоге.
нашла там всего два xml файла:
примерно с такими названиями ReAgent.xml и ReAgent_merged.xml1 внутренности которых отличались всего одной строчкой в которой упоминался каталог recovery.
при этом дата создания ReAgent_merged.xml1 была намного раньше ReAgent.xml.
предположила, а что если в старом файле как раз и прописаны верные параметры восстановления
переименовала ReAgent_merged.xml1 в ReAgent.xml
и о чудо. система восстановления перестала выдавать что «диск заблокирован» и пошел процесс восстановления, точнее отката к заводским настройкам!
вобщем всё получилось!!
даже не пришлось проверять другие советы, которые выглядели ну очень заморочисто )))
Ноутбук HP Pavilion 15-n057sr с предустановленной Windows 8.1 x64.
не совсем в тему раздела, но вдруг кому-то поможет.